Sunday, June 20, 2010

As a former student, one of the biggest problems I faced in school was a lack of understanding of the material. In college, I had at least one class where I found it difficult to gain a strong comprehension of the material. Textbooks would sometimes make it harder to learn because it would go over a lot more information than was needed and it was tough to relate the material back to class.

Even though I knew it was ineffective, I blindly just tried to memorize the material and learn how to apply it to the homework problems. I never had a full comprehension of how everything fit together. I never found a good solution to this problem, and to this day I still struggle to find it.

I'd love to hear from other people who have experienced this problem and maybe have a good solution. Or do you face a different set of problems?

1 comment:

  1. I rarely understood much in the classroom. Lectures were just an occasion to take notes of what the prof wanted us to learn. I would then always enhance the notes to fill in the gap. May even go to differnet books until I found an explanation I could understand. I would then try example problems to make sure I understood them. And then I would try homework problems. And while doing so I would make note of what I found difficult to review later.

    I followed a "deliberate" way of learning, I had to work at it. It was not easy. It did not just flow. I really had to follow the 3R approach.

    ReplyDelete